Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dishwasher + Plus More Counter Tops = Much Better Kitchen


The first time our realtor showed us our house I instantly noticed that there was no dishwasher. I wouldn’t even consider a house without a dishwasher unless there was a way to put one in easily. My dad said that it wouldn’t be a big deal to do it so that took care of that problem. For some reason after we bought the house we did not tackle this problem though. We focused on painting and some flooring here and there. The kitchen was actually the only place we didn’t paint the trim white (don’t worry, I’ll be taking care of that soon.)
Even though we were adding the dishwasher I didn’t want to lose my cabinets plus I wanted (and needed) more counter space. The solution was to just turn the cabinet piece to make a peninsula.
Time to get that dishwasher in. Now, buying a new dishwasher and hooking it up is easy compared to what needed to be done here. Since there’s never been a dishwasher you need to hook up plumbing and electrical to it. Most houses nowadays automatically have plug ins behind the dishwasher spot, we didn’t have that luxury. Thank goodness for my dad, he is so handy. I couldn’t imagine trying to do this ourselves.
Finally the dishwasher is in! I seriously started loading it with whatever I could find right away. I was like a kid wanting to play with their present on Christmas morning.
Since we extended our counter top area we needed new counter tops (plus the old ones were pretty dated and had some cracks.) We picked the High Resolution Laminate Wilsonart counter tops in Deepstar Agate. And wow, what a difference!
There’s still some staining to do on the new pieces that were put in but that should be taken care of this weekend. There is definitely more things to be done in here but I think we’re off to a great start.

No comments:

Post a Comment