Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Patio Buffet + Storage!

I don't know about you, but I really struggle when it comes to entertaining out on our deck. I feel like all I'm doing is going in and out, in and out, grabbing this and grabbing that. Then when we're not outside grilling, our grill tools are taking up so much room in my drawers I can hardly close them sometimes. Then one day I came across the Organizing Made Fun blog where she turned a dresser into a patio buffet.


And wouldn't you know it, I just happened to have a dresser that I wasn't using that fits perfectly on my deck! So I moved it downstairs to my workshop (our unfinished sunroom) and got to work.


This was a dresser I got for free that I painted a pinkish purple a few years ago to match a quilt in our guestroom. I wanted to paint it black to match my newly painted shutters and I had plenty of paint leftover.


Luckily the hardware I bought from the previous redo looks perfect with the new paint job. Next I wanted to get a decal for our last name just like she did in her blog. I found ours on Etsy.com (I would tell you the shop but I wasn't really impressed with them, I had to cut some pieces off when I opened the package.)

 
 
Now that the decal was on I used a spray polyurethane to seal everything.The one I found was meant to be used on outdoor items to protect it from the sun and rain.
 


Next I wanted to add some corkboard drawer liners in the three drawers. This will keep everything from sliding around when the drawers are opened (they are kind of old in sticky) and when we move it around.


Lastly, we added wheels on the bottom on the legs and handles on the sides so it'll be easy to move from one side of the deck to another. Plus, also easier to wheel into the garage before winter.

 
 
The first most exciting part of this whole thing is we now have a place to set all of our food to serve when we grill. There just isn't enough room on our patio table for that and eating. 
 
 
 
The second, and most important is storage!
 

From grilling tools to can koozies, and paper plates to bottle openers this unit will take care of all of our entertaining needs. I'm really excited to keep plastic ware and paper plates in here too! I'm still working on finding plastic bins to put those in just to make doubly sure they stay dry after a good rain.

I hope I've inspired you to take your organizing outside too! Totally worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment