Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Lucky Stars

One of the finishing touches that has been driving me up the wall is my dining room wall. Ever since we did the kitchen/dining redo it has been blank and dying for some attention. I had a ton of ideas up my sleeve but everything I came up with Ryan hated. I don't depend on him for decorating, however, if he hates something I won't do it. So I pushed aside my ideas for picture frames and white plates and decided on tin stars. And guess what. Ryan didn't hate it! I was inspired by these stars on The Yellow Cape Cod post of 31 days of building character

 
My only problem was now finding the stars. After some research I came to the conclusion that my budget would be around $60 to get three stars on the wall. Ugh. Lucky for me I came acrossed a great deal on Amazon.com for a set of three for just over $30! The only thing was that they weren't black. Oh well, I've got a can of black spray paint right down stairs! I ordered them and they were here in 4 days. I opened the package and got to work.
 

I laid the stars down on the box they came in...


Spray paint is like magic. While I waited for the stars to dry I went inside to figure out exactly how to hang them. Before I painted them I traced the stars on some extra cardboard and cut out the pieces. Put some tape on the back and started rearranging the stars all over the wall. I finally decided on this.


So I pounded some nails in at the top of each star and headed back outside to get my stars.


Much nicer than the cardboard huh?


I can't believe what a huge difference this made and the project only took 30 minutes!


Hanging a star on your house symbolizes pride in ownership. I think that fits our home better than anything. I'm so happy Ryan challenged me to think a bit more outside of the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment